Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Just One of the Guys

OK, I've been pretty lazy about posting stuff, so I think I came up with a way to keep up with this movie blog thing. Since I go to trivia every Monday night and there are always 2 questions about movies, I'm gonna start doing a review of one of the movies the questions are based on. (Lesley, if you want me to review a movie, make up a question about it) Last nights choices are St. Elmo's Fire and Flight of the Navigator. (Do you feel it? I'm getting warm. I think I've got... 80'S FEVER!!) Since both of these are pretty crappy, but sentimental 80's movies, I figured I'd skip them and do a full-out review of my all-time favorite crappy 80's teen movie, Just One of the Guys.

A few notes about this movie before we start:
1. This was the first movie where I saw bare breasts. The importance of this cannot be overstated.
2. Billy Zabka plays the high school bully. He was Johnny in the Karate Kid. Fantastic 80's bad guy.
3. Billy Jayne plays sex-crazed little brother Buddy. Buddy is quite possibly my all time favorite character in a movie. I'm not kidding. He's up there with Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday, Christopher Walken as the Archangel Gabriel and Edward Norton as Aaron Stampler in Primal Fear. Billy Jayne is a comedy god.

OK, Terry Griffith is a popular high schooler who aspires to be a great writer, but she's not getting the respect she thinks she deserves. Everyone tells her she should think about doing something else, like be a model. She thinks that her writing isn't getting merit because she's a girl. What to do in this situation? Change schools, pretend to be a guy, profit. So she changes schools and becomes friends with Rick, a loner/none-to-popular guy who she sees potential in. Long story short, she begins to like him, makes him over and soon falls in love. At the end of the movie she professes her love, he thinks she's a gay guy, she flashes her boobs to show she's a girl, they live happily ever after. Whoopie!

The real story here is Buddy. Buddy is obsessed with sex, hey he's 15. I can't even begin to list how many Buddy scenes make me laugh out loud. No exageration, I think I laugh every time he's on the screen. Watch this movie for Buddy. If you've been to high school, you won't be disappointed.

Final score: 5 out of 5 sexually confused aspiring writers.

1 comment:

ribblette said...

I have probably heard you talk about this movie more than any other. So, it is now at the top of my list of movies to watch. We need to have movie night!